Monday, August 4, 2014

August 4 - First message from the land of Kernersville

Hello family,

Ok so as you know from last week I have transferred to my new area in
Kernersville. It is country (thought not as country as Ernest in
Magnolia) and super different from Charlotte that is for sure. It
hasn't been an easy adjustment but I am trying my best to get to know
the members especially because when I am comfortable knowing the ward
then I just feel better about things overall - must be the whole
ward/church family concept.
I wasn't sure what to write about these first two weeks here so I'll
just kind of give you some random details.
Sister Mouritsen is the designated driver but I got to drive for a few
days last week since she lost her license. That was nice for me since
I prefer to drive. But we did a lot of biking, more than I have ever
done in my life, and Sister Mouritsen is so fast I have the challenge
of keeping up with her and it is a good heart workout. This weekend
was actually very rainy and temperature in the 60s (typically it is in
the 90s this month), so it felt cold ha! But the great part is our
apartment complex has free hot chocolate in the office. :) Our
apartment is really nice and clean, I feel blessed.
Well teaching-wise this area is very different from Charlotte. Here
there is hardly anyone on the streets to talk with and the population
out here is a lot of older generation. We do however have at least one
Indian couple in our complex, and then we knocked into an Indian
couple. Sister Mouritsen thinks I have the magic touch that draws them
out because she hasn't met any Indians her whole time on the mission.
I don't know but I do enjoy talking with them!
We are working on getting some solid people to teach and for know we
have a few. Meg is a college student that I just recently met and she
began investigating the church in D.C.. She is very kind and excited
about the church and loves to read and watch anything and everything
we can get to her and if she could get baptized she would! She has
some challenges to overcome before she can be baptized though so I
hope we can help her in the best way possible. I am glad though
because she had very very good experiences with the D.C. YSA ward she
was attending and has a witness of God's love for her.
We are also teaching a couple of girls who are foster daughters to
some members and hopefully they will be able to be baptized in a month
or two. I only met them once so far and they are pretty reserved but
looking forward to getting to know them better.
Other than that we are trying to work with a lot of inactive and
less-active members and knocking doors (not my favorite) so hopefully
my talking with people is getting better with all the practice we're
getting. It's been interesting though because more than ever, we get
people who are comfortable with their church and I am trying to come
up with creative ways to still share our message.
I do find myself praying lately for extra charity and just really
trying to talk with people as if Christ were there in the conversation
as well in the hope that even if my words don't sound eloquent and
maybe my approaches are on the awkward side a little, somehow maybe
Christ's pure love can shine through and reach beyond the conversation
to that soul-to-soul connection. I am grateful for prayer though and
that we can ask for help even in things that we aren't naturally adept
at like having charity or patience, etc.

Tell everyone hi and tell them I love them! Continue to let me know
how things are going at home, even if it is boring stuff. ;)
Love,
Sister Rust

No comments:

Post a Comment