Monday, January 20, 2014

January 13

Dear Family,

Sorry this will be a short email, but we had a neat opportunity
yesterday at church with Elder Parker who has spoken to our mission
before as well. But first:
I realized after talking with Sister Whitmer yesterday that my last
few transfers I have just been dwelling too much on my faults and
imperfections. I am so much quicker to forgive others before myself
sometimes. I was reminded that when I turned in my mission papers I
had a vision of the perfect Sister Rust missionary and what that would
look and be like but I lost that coming out here. Starting last night
I resolved that one of my New year goals is to leave the Sister Rust
that hasn't been successful or effective behind, and just be the
missionary I envisioned. God has blessed me with gifts to bless others
and I need to just not hide or hold back my potential. I am excited to
be the missionary I wanted to be! My personal testimony has just been
strengthened so much in the last 4 months. I just love it!

Yesterday, the Hickory ward had the opportunity of having Elder Parker
attend our ward conference and in Sacrament he bore a very simple but
powerful, powerful testimony. Oh and he was baptist for 20 years so
those mannerisms came out a little in his talk but I liked it, very
exciting and makes you want to give a strong amen at the end. Then we
had a ward dinner after the block and without any prompting from us
Elder Parker came and sat right next to our investigator who came. I
think Elder Parker came in answer to a prayer for this investigator
because he could relate having been baptist for years before joining
the church and at the end of their conversation Elder Parker simply
asked, "Has the Holy Ghost told you that Joseph Smith was NOT a
prophet called of God?". Our investigator (Mr. Herman) did not believe
there is one true church or that he needs to be baptized again or that
Joseph Smith was a prophet, but he could not give Elder Parker an
answer. Then he left Mr. Herman with his personal phone number and a
hand written note. I had never considered asking that question before
but I think that is how I have come to my own testimony of Joseph
Smith.
I am so grateful for the Priesthood and that Heavenly Father still
communicates with His children to this day.

Love,
Sister Rust

No comments:

Post a Comment