Monday, February 17, 2014

February 10


Hi Mom, Dad, and family,

So first off I was transferred this week. Yep, I left my beloved
Hickory and Sister Whitmer and now I am in University City part of
Charlotte with Sister Nielsen. Sister Nielsen is like me where we can
be really quiet until we warm up to someone but we aren't chatterboxes
much haha. I like her though. It's strange coming into an area where
there is already a teaching pool and my companion knows the Area
because she was here previously. In Hickory we were basically like
whitewashing the area for sisters at least and I kind of like that
maybe?
I live right next to UNC Charlotte but the other two sisters  are in
the singles ward and proselyte on campus and we are In a family ward.
Oh that is the other new thing- there are four sisters in our
apartment but thank goodness two bathrooms. Sharing food and not
sharing food will be interesting though. I have never had a college
experience with several roommates before so this will be.... Exciting?
Oh but our family ward is neat and there is a deaf brother!!!!! So
pretty much I was distracted by the interpreter all of sacrament. :)

Here's my spiritual food for thought that has been on my mind this week:
"God uses your faith to mold your character. Character is woven
patiently from threads of doctrine, principle, and obedience.
Character is the manifestation of what you are becoming. Your
character will be the yardstick that God will use to determine how
well you have used your mortal life." Elder Richard G. Scott (Living a
Life of Peace, Joy, and Purpose)
Basically that is what my mission is doing for me - God is using my
faith to help me become like Him and grow my character. And that is
why the things we learn on a mission are really lifelong things
because throughout our life we never stop changing and we are
constantly becoming something.
Also I had a neat experience this week with Sister Nielsen. It was
like a missionary's dream come true. :) We were street contacting at
the boardwalk (reminds me of San Fransisco a little) and most people
were just passing us by to quickly to say anything but hello but then
this one couple saw our tags and turned around to stop us. I guess
hyphen guy worked with a Mormon
And had some questions about what she was saying and if that was
really how we believed. He asked what set us apart from other
Christians and we told him about modern revelation and prophet today
and how that is the way The Book of Mormon came about.  We left him
with a Book of Mormon and our number. I was feeling so great though, I
could not stop smiling the rest of the day! I think every missionary
dreams of being stopped by someone instead of stopping them.

Well thank you for your prayers and support!
Love, Sister Rust

No comments:

Post a Comment